Building Control Approval with Automist

Building Control Approval with Automist

Building regulations are minimum standards for design, construction and alterations to virtually every building. The regulations are developed by the UK government and approved by Parliament. Homeowners are legally responsible for ensuring structural or alteration work complies with building standards. You can delegate responsibility to your builder or contractor in advance of them starting work. But, you are ultimately responsible for ensuring your property complies with relevant building standards. A large proposition of Automist installations are to help homes meet building regulations, whilst the rest tend to be driven by the RRFSO or an elective fire safety upgrade, and do not require sign off from building control.

There are two main sources of approval for you (or your contractor) to consider:

  • Local Authority Building Control (LABC).
  • Private building control bodies - Approved Inspectors advise you on how the regulations will apply. They check plans, notify a local authority of intended work (via an ‘Initial Notice’), inspect the work as it progresses and issues the final certificate. Our customers recommend Assent Building Control or London Building Control.

If the local authority rejects your initial application, you have the option of amending your existing plans. This is the smoothest and quickest option. A fire engineer can help you present your case as a fire engineered solution to building control. They can give you a report that details the necessary steps to take to be able to gain approval. Need help? Contact a fire engineer familiar with Automist.

If you go ahead with work without receiving authorisation and it turns out not to comply with building regulation standards, you could be asked to remove or alter each offending contravention. You can appeal for ‘determination’ if you believe that your plans comply with regulations but have been rejected. If you have undertaken building work without prior approval, then a retrospective application process, known as ‘regularisation’, can be used to obtain a ‘regularisation certificate’. However, this may entail extensive corrective work to comply with building standards. Once the building work is complete, you should obtain a completion certificate

We have completed over 10000 installations up and down the UK to help homes meet building regulations